Re: [school-discuss] Linux LiveCD Distribution

Yes, and since it is an independent distribution, you may do all of this without risking harm to the reputations of major contributors.

If you muck it up, and make a mess of it, you have only made a mess of our little project, not the major contributors.

Also, installing a general purpose Desktop Distro and then customizing it by downloading and installing software through a package manager (not always successful) can take days, if not weeks to get it just so.

To download worksheets and install student management software and complete the project could take several people a month.

This project saves you this time by providing you the software and contentt and OS all in one swell foop.

Chris

jim stockford <jim@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

the value in what Chris Topher has described, as I
see it, is the "live" CD or DVD and the fact that it's
modifiable by the users.
The benefits are that
* the "live" CD or DVD can be used on any computer
that boots from the drive (and has the appropriate
CPU-motherboard systems) without wiping out
whatever is on that computer's hard drive
* teachers can customize the product offering to
their class and school needs
* the work teachers do can be submitted to the central
builders to allow local work to be exposed to the entire
world.