Re: [school-discuss] Live CD: DIY vs. Distribution

   Here's a link to manpages for live-helper, a set of
tools that includes lh_config and lh_build.
http://live.debian.net/other/manpages/live-helper.7.html

related link:
http://www.livedistro.org/

On Sep 22, 2007, at 1:56 PM, Ben Armstrong wrote:

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:59:01 -0400
Chris Gregan <cgregan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wonder if we could draw up some type of pole on the site. Members
could request Live CD programs to be included, and the top ones could be
ripped to an ISO monthly and posted on the site for download.

I'm not sure if you're getting how easy this is for people to do themselves.
There needn't be any poll, nor any download.  For example:

$ sudo apt-get install live-helper
$ mkdir mylivecd
$ cd mylivecd
$ lh_config -p gnome --packages "gcompris tuxpaint"
$ sudo lh_build

When lh_build is finished, you will have a binary.iso in the current
directory with a gnome desktop and your two extra packages in it.  The
tool also supports a rich set of options to configure every aspect of
the build.  See some examples here:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Examples

Good to know...I smell an Ubuntu custom CD tool announcement coming
soon! :-)

Well, it's the same tool:

$ lh_config --mode ubuntu && sudo lh_build

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg@xxxxxxxxxx