Re: [school-discuss] Live CD: DIY vs. Distribution

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:10:00 +0000
Uno Kitty <unokitty@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While I wouldn't consider Knoppix remastering a Guru level activity, I wouldn't consider it a novice level activity either...

That's one of the key differences between Debian-live and more conventional solutions: it is not a remastering process; instead, you build a live system that is bootstrapped directly from the official repositories.  The problem with remastering is not just that it requires advanced skills to do, it's that it's a pretty poor way to spend your time because it involves too much rework each time you remaster.  What if you want to make fundamental changes?  Let's say you want to change from i386 to amd64 or powerpc, or from Debian 'lenny' to 'sid'.  Or switch from Debian to Ubuntu.  These are all simple config changes with Debian-live.  But with remastering, you need to obtain a new live CD image from a third party and re-apply all of your remastering customizations to the new image.

Read about other distinctive features of the Debian-live approach here:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Why

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx