[school-discuss] Re: M$ Windows 7 - probably didn't brag enough about FOSS

After reading William's post I thought I did not brag enough about FOSS.

It is now over 11 years that I have been using Linux in the classroom.  As a
teacher, I can get any type of software I want.  The term "smorgasborg" comes
to mind.  I can pretty much do any crazy thing I can imagine.

Even now, FOSS is saving me and making cool things happen for my school kids.
For many odd reasons the computers in my lab have nothing on the hard drives
yet.  However, it does not feel that way because we are booting to the Musix
live DVD.

The BCIS kids having been practicing keyboarding with Ktouch, Gtypist, and out
of their text books.  I create my own tests each week easily by modifying a
Gtypist file.  Tomorrow we are going to have fun by making percussion sound
tracks in Hydrogen.

The animation students are creating stop motion videos with the Gimp, Audacity,
Kino, and Cinelerra.  They save their work on their flash drives or use Gftp to
upload it to the server in my room running Fedora.

Nothing is that hard to do - I am only an old music teacher after all.  All I do
when I am stuck is google it, or ask all of you guys on this list.

My colleagues using Windows are waiting 15 minutes to boot up and 10 minutes to
get into their new typing tutor program.

Free and Open Source Software makes all the difference.

Marilyn

:)