Re: Windows boot takes HOW long?! (Was re: [school-discuss] Re: M$ Windows 7 - probably didn't brag enough about FOSS)

It probably is the roaming profile thing.  I know that no information gets
stored on the local computers.  There are some applications, but no user
information and many apps are network apps.

I don't have anything to do with it.  I'm just lucky I can bypass the system by
resizing the hard disks to add Ubuntu.  The live Musix DVDs are handy too.

I will pass on the info to my colleagues.  Thanks!

Marilyn

Quoting Izzy Blacklock <izzyb@xxxxxxxxx>:

> 15 minutes to boot does seem a little long, but not unheard of if you're
> running with roaming profiles containing lots of data.  I'm constantly
> correcting slow boot problems caused by people putting too much crap on
> their desktops or in they're Documents folder.  Both are part of the
> roaming profile and as such get copied from the server on login and back
> to it on logout.  Doesn't take a room full of computers very long to
> saturate  the available bandwidth on boot up when they're each pulling
> down half a gig or so of data.  And depending on how many computer labs
> there are, and the number of servers available, I could see a server
> having a near meltdown experience every time a new set of students logs
> into all the computers at about the same time.
>
> Of course, this is a correctable problem, but not all that uncommon.
> The best solution is to prevent as much data as possible from landing in
> the Roaming profile.  That means changing the default behavior of Windows.
>
> I've always thought roaming profiles were a dumb idea.  You don't need
> to copy everything back and forth from the workstation to the server all
> the time to get the login anywhere effect, and there are better ways to
> handle off-line access to files.
>
> Just my $0.02 worth.
>
> ...Izzy
>
> Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 05:07:21PM -0700, Marilyn Hagle wrote:
> >
> >> My colleagues using Windows are waiting 15 minutes to boot up and 10
> >> minutes to get into their new typing tutor program.
> >>

> > Wow!  I know Windows boots slowly, but what kind of systems are these,
> > and what version of Windows?  Is there a reason they're booting from
> > scratch, rather than keeping the systems running (or suspended, when not
> > being used) all day long?  Do the kids each have accounts on the systems
> > that they need to log into?
> >

> > My own anecote: I had a 1 or 1.5GHz laptop at my last job, with
> > WindowsXP, and it would take a few minutes to boot up and provide a
> > login prompt.  Then many minutes more to log me in and get to a state
> > where I could actually _interact_ with the desktop, launch
> > applications, etc.  It was the time I'd spend schmoozing with
> > co-workers and making myself a cup or two of coffee.
> > Still not 10-15min though!
> >
> > And FWIW, my 1yo, 2GHz Kubuntu laptop running KDE 4.3 is slow compared to
> > what I was used to with KDE 3.5 on that aforementioned work laptop, but
> > still not as slow as Windows was on it.
> >
> > -bill!

:)