File System Standard

There was some mention of the file system made not long ago so I decided
get the latest version of the fsstd  and read it over.  Here is an
extract of the document.
NOTE: programs in parens ( ) are located there as a strong suggestion
by the standard.

DIRECTORY TREE STRUCTURE:

/ |- /bin  (cat, chgrp, chmod, chown, cp, date, dd, df, dmesg, echo,
  |          ed, false, kill, ln, login, ls, mkdir, mknod, more, mount,
  |          mv, ps, pwd, rm, rmdir, sed, setserial, sh, stty, su, sync,

  |          true, umount, uname, tar, gzip, gunzip (link to gzip),
  |          zcat (Link to gzip))
  |- /boot
  |- /dev
  |- /etc   (adjtime, csh.login, disktab, fdprm, fstab, gettydefs,
group,
  |            inittab, confissue, ld.so.conf, lilo.conf, motd, mtab,
mtools,
  |             passwd, profile, securetty, shells, syslog.conf,
ttytype,
  |            exports, ftpusers, gateways, host.conf, hosts,
hosts.allow,
  |            hosts.deny, hosts.equiv, hosts.ldp, inetd.conf, networks,

  |            printcap, protocols, resolv.conf, rpc, services)
  |       | - /X11
  |       | - /OPT  CONFIGURATION FILES FOR /OPT
  |- /home
  |- /lib |- /modules
  |- /mnt
  |- /opt
  |- /root
  |- /sbin  (badblocks, dumpe2fs, e2fsck, mke2fs, mklost+found, tune2fs,

  |      lilo, ldconfig, sln, ssync, ctrlaltdel, kbdrate,clock, getty,
  |      init, update, mkswap, swapon, swapoff, telinit,fastboot,
  |      fasthalt, halt, reboot, shutdown,fdisk, fsck, fsck.*, mkfs,
  |      mkfs.* ,ifconfig, route)
  |- /usr |- /X11R6
  |       |- /X386
  |       |- /bin
  |       |- /games
  |       |- /include |- /g++
  |       |           |- /X11
  |       |- /lib
  |       |- /local |- /bin
  |       |         |- /games
  |       |         |- /include
  |       |         |- /lib
  |       |         |- /sbin
  |       |         |- /share
  |       |         |- /src
  |       |- /sbin
  |       |- /share |- /dict Word Lists
  |       |         |- /doc  Miscellaneous documentation
  |       |         |- /games  Static data files for /usr/games
  |       |         |- /info  GNU Info system's primary directory
  |       |         |- /locale Locale information
  |       |     |- /man |- /man1  User Programs
  |       |         |       |- /man2  System Calls
  |       |         |       |- /man3  Library Calls
  |       |         |       |- /man4  Special Files
  |       |         |       |- /man5  File Formats
  |       |         |       |- /man6  Games
  |       |         |       |- /man7  Miscellaneous
  |       |         |       |- /man8  System Administration
  |       |         |- /nls  Native Language Support
  |       |         |- /misc  Miscellaneous architecture independent
data
  |       |         |          (ascii, magic, termcap, termcap.db,
airport,
  |       |         |           birthtoken egachar, getopt, gprof.callg,

  |       |         |           gprof.flat, mail.help, mail.tildehelp,
  |       |         |           man.template, map3270,
mdoc.template,more.help,
  |       |         |           na.phone, aslookup.help, operator,
scsi_modes,
  |       |         |           sendmail.hf, style, units.lib,
vgrindefs,
  |       |         |           vgrindefs.db, zipcodes)
  |       |         |- /terminfo  Directories for terminfo database
  |       |         |- /tmac  troff macors not distributed with groff
  |       |         |- /zoneinfo  Timezone information and
configureation
  |       |- /src
  |- /var |- /account
          |- /cache
          |- /crash
          |- /games
          |- /lock
          |- /log
          |- /mail
          |- /opt
          |- /run
          |- /spool
          |- /state
          |- /tmp
          |- /yp

Most of these directories are selfexplainitory the only major change in
the addition of the OPT directory.
The Opt directory is to be used when the user adds new programs to the
system (i.e. Gimp).