Mail Program

Simon Waldman wrote:
This has been moved to the apps list as per the rules.
> Is Netscape (which is now free, at least as binaries) free enough? I suspect
> not, but has anyone checked? I seem to remember reading somewhere about the
> source being made availible.

There was talk of Netscape using a license "inspired by the GPL",  There
is
serious doubt that they will use THE GPL however since Communicator is
in the
unique position of having an enemy who would try to ensure that the
latest
version is always "broken".  With this in mind Netscape will likely
maintain
some sort of control.  Once they have published the new Netscape License
we
can diced.  Until then.  Wait and see.
As for using the current binaries.  They are too slow and fragile for
the
role of default mailer or reading HTML help files ( if those are used )
It is however good enough for default web browser for the simple reason
that it works properly on nearly all sites ( SEUs want ESPN, and ZDNET
and it's not our place to deter them ).
--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."