Grants: Educating grant giving institutions and non-profits.

I was going to say free money but I was afraid someones
spam filter might reject this email.
     I was looking around at the possibility of grants that
Linux groups could apply for. Unfortunately the examples of funded
projects that I found seem to indicate that grantees were using
their funds to purchase commercial software for their projects.
     In addition to applying for grants I think it may be wise
to educate grant giving institutions about free software and
ask them to concider free software issues in their grant
application process.
     Non-profits and government institutions are a natural match
for free software. Imagine if we could convince a large organization
like the United Way that they could save hundreds of thousands of
dollars by switching to Applix running on Linux.
                                                -Jeff