Re: Discussion vs. consideration (of KDE/KIllustrator)

RE: FreeQt

Wow, I was not aware of the existence of that project.  Sounds very
good!  I still say it's not ENTIRELY necessary...but it will appease the
free software purists and hopefully put KDE in a better light.

> What would be good is if FreeQt could be built on top of GTK, or at least a
> branch set up to do so.  This would be slower, yes, but it would provide
> the advantages of GTK, specifically access to an ORB (dunno how a Qt app on
> top of FreeQt on top of GTK would do CORBA, but it's a thought), and most
> importantly, a unified visual environment.

Hmm...seems complicated..... (not that it couldn't be done)

> Yes, I'm still leaning towards GNOME/GTK.  From what little time I've had
> to look through the architectures, GNOME wins.  However, what if we were

Probably so.  Anyone know about multithreading apps though?  I don't
think either library is thread safe.  That could be a problem.

> > It would be a shame to have the best Linux desktop not included in
> > major distributions for almost a year ( that's how long it will take
> > GNOME to get where KDE is now ... and who knows where KDE will be
> > then ? )

Well, SuSE and I think another is indeed shipping KDE now (why they ship
it as part of a stable distrib before 1.0 is beyond me).  Yes, I *do*
think this is a good thing.  Windows users who like KDE will want to be
able to use it without installing it.  They will NOT be bothered by the
license...

--
Linux: Everything else is just a toy!
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/2359