Re: Discussion vs. consideration (of KDE/KIllustrator)

Micah Yoder wrote:

> RE: FreeQt
>
> Wow, I was not aware of the existence of that project.  Sounds very
> good!  I still say it's not ENTIRELY necessary...but it will appease the
> free software purists and hopefully put KDE in a better light.

It is there ... I really love KDE and would like to see it become the
Linux desktop ( So mooch that Windows converts will think it is X
just as how they thought Program Manager was Windows )

> > What would be good is if FreeQt could be built on top of GTK, or at least a
> > branch set up to do so.  This would be slower, yes, but it would provide
> > the advantages of GTK, specifically access to an ORB (dunno how a Qt app on
> > top of FreeQt on top of GTK would do CORBA, but it's a thought), and most
> > importantly, a unified visual environment.
>
> Hmm...seems complicated..... (not that it couldn't be done)
>
> > Yes, I'm still leaning towards GNOME/GTK.  From what little time I've had
> > to look through the architectures, GNOME wins.  However, what if we were
>
> Probably so.  Anyone know about multithreading apps though?  I don't
> think either library is thread safe.  That could be a problem.

This is little beyond me.  it involves knowing about actual programing.
I do know KDE keaps KFM runing at all times as meny apps ( including the
K Panel ) are actualy extensions of KFM.  Is this a problem ?
I don't know, KDE only misbehaves when sombody breaks an app in the
snapshot you just instaled ( Yesterdays snapshot broge KPPP forinstance,
but this is normal with BETA stuff )

> > > It would be a shame to have the best Linux desktop not included in
> > > major distributions for almost a year ( that's how long it will take
> > > GNOME to get where KDE is now ... and who knows where KDE will be
> > > then ? )
>
> Well, SuSE and I think another is indeed shipping KDE now (why they ship
> it as part of a stable distrib before 1.0 is beyond me).  Yes, I *do*

What's strange about that ?  Everybody has been shipping the Gimp for
months now.  The Gimp is at version 0.99.*.
The only thing that distributors demand be in a stable version is the
Kernel.  all else needs only to work consistently.  KDE Snapshots fit
this category some days. :)

> think this is a good thing.  Windows users who like KDE will want to be
> able to use it without installing it.  They will NOT be bothered by the
> license...
> --
True.  As long as you get to the question.  "If I use this can anyone
send the cops to kick my door down and take my computers ?".  Once you
say no to that question the Windows user doesn't care about the rest.
Experience has shown that technologies leapfrog each other.  I.e.
when KDE grows up ( versions 3.1 :).  Something ( perhaps GNOME ) will
appear on the horizon to take it's place with a far superior interface.
This is life.  There is now a real possibility of KDE replacing CDE in
commercial UNIX.  ( CDE is based on Motif and QT is extremely cheap by
comparison :).
BTW : are you a programer ?  If so could you lend a few synapses to the
Harmony project ( the actual name of FreeQT ? ).
--
"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."