Re: The Kernel

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> Personally, I think that as long as we can pass decent QA runs with the
> kernel we put together, we should be willing to incorporate new features.

I am FIRMLY opposed to such an action.

We should not monkey with the kernel!  I don't know why this isn't
obvious.  The whole point of building a linux core is to standardize
Linux.  Now we take the most fundamental aspect of it and change it.
Remember, our job here is not to push the envelope.  It is to maintain
ease of use and stability.  Whether we want our users to compile their own
kernel or not, we cannot take the kernel and just arbitrarily mess with
it.  Doing so defeats not only the point of the core, but also runs the
risk of introducing bugs, and makes no appreciable benefit.

kernel patches are for people that are interested in making their kernel
do new and exciting things.  Not for those of us that just want a simple,
stable distribution.