Re: The Kernel

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> > > The more I think about it, the more I think that core sould NOT be debian
> > > packages because that enforces a certain filesystem layout and I think we
> >
> > Debian is FSSTND compliant, and will be moving to FSH as soon as possible.
> > Seems to me that requiring FSH is a pretty basic part of a core standard.
>
> Here are the problems with having .deb packaged binaries for core:

This is not exactly the same thing.  The filesystem layout is a valid part
of the core, that is the whole reason why there is a FSSTND in the first
place.  It is important for a developer to know where to put his files.
But the packaging format, which is irrelevant to both end-users, and
developers, is not a valid part of the core, and impinges on the
distributor's right to distribute and install his system his own way, and
to add functionality to his system through enhanced package management.