Re: The Kernel

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Micah Yoder wrote:

> George Bonser wrote:
>
> > 2) Enforces Debian filesystem structure on all distributions
>
> Wouldn't it be *good* to enforce a common filesystem on all
> core-compliant systems???????

That is what the FHS is for.  This describes a certain minimum standard
that all linux distributions must comply with and I think we should
require them to coply with that standard.  If we feel that there are some
additions to FHS that should be applied, we need to feed that back into
the FHS project.

Be aware that FHS affects more than just linux. There is work afoot to
create a standard called 86Open which will standardize Caldera, Debian,
Red Hat, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris x86, and SCO to name a few into a
standard filesystem, standard binary format, and standard packaging
system.

The goal of this project is to enable a software vendor to provide a
product that will install and run on any of these platforms.

Try this:

Extend your left arm with your palm facing outward as if to push someone
away. Now drop your thumb down so that it is horizontal, 90 degrees from
the other fingers.  You are now looking at the lower left-hand corner of
what is known as "The Total Picture" and that is about where Linux fits
in.  Before Linux can work in concert with other *nix developers, we need
to be able to work in concert within our own community.

The best way to get someone to do something is to get them to WANT to do
it.  We have to show the software developers that we are working in their
best interest and we have to show the other Linux distributions that it is
also in THEIR best interest to be complient with these standards so that
these applications will run on their system.

We will get nowhere by simply issuing well-intended standards unless we
can demonstrate that it is good for them to adopt them.

It is time to start informing software developers of this project. The
more Red Hat hears from its vendors "Are you Core 1.0 compliant?" the more
it makes Red Hat want to investigate BECOMING Core compliant. We need to
make it in their interest to come to us, we can not expect to force our
will on them.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org