Re: The Kernel

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Paul Anderson wrote:

> What does it take to boot Linux with only 2Megs of diskspace?  There you
> have your core.  The ABSOLUTE MINIMUM essentials.  vmlinuz, LILO,

This is not useful either.  It makes the core irrelevant.  Instead of
saying "We include whatever we want and call it core" we say "The core
means that you have a linux system of some sort," which is almost the same
thing, and not very useful.  The core "Versions" then become equivalent to
glibc and kernel versions, and we have that already.

Is not the purpose of the core to have a system which developers and users
alike can call a standard?  I would think that would imply some degree of
standardization...