Re: The Kernel

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Orn E. Hansen wrote:

>   What is the status of GUI tools? Like a 'user manager' and a X GUI tool to
> browse packages?  The reason I ask, is that I have a 'user manager' and have
> already designed a method to translate the 'mbox' style database that debian
> uses into a database table on the fly, and have been nurturing the idea of
> buiding such a GUI tool?

Offhand, I would say give it a shot.  I would like at some point to get
together on IRC so we can put down exactly what needs working on, start
assigning individuals to projects and setting goals for completion.

Your question raises a good point, I have no idea which GUI tools have
been looked at, what impressions were of these tools, etc.  We are
probably back to horses chasing carts though, since we have not yet even
decided on a standard GUI.

There is also a tool out there for administration of networks with a lot
of hosts and users called GASH or Group Administrator's SHell. It is
possible to stick a Tk front end on it.  That is for carving out parts of
an NIS domain and delegating authority for parts of it to different admins
so that a central admin is not swamped with with every request in the
domain.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org