Re: The Kernel (fwd)

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Rick Jones wrote:

> We only bicker because you tend to ignore what we say about SEUL.

Look, saying things is one thing ... doing is another.  You can always
find a thousand people with an opinion on how someone else should do
something.

All of these ideas can be considered.  We can not modify a kernel because
the is no kernel to modify.  We can not modify an install procedure
because the is no install procedure to modify.  We can not talk about how
things should be changed because there is nothing to change at that point.

Feel free to discuss how you want it to look.  I am not going to get
involved in it at this point because it only serves to divert my attention
away from getting something put together that we can start working on to a
milion discussions on a million topics with the proponent of each one
thinking it should be the top priority.

Submit specific diffs to the pristine source.  I am going to TRY to get a
mirroring program set up on the ftp site and make a directory for seul
changes to go into.

If you are thinking of taking a specific package that is already a Debian
package, please at least strike up a conversation with the Debian
maintainer.  That person might be interested in your ideas or might be
able to give you some insight, particularly if they have maintained a
package for a long period of time.

Get on the debian mentors mailing list to start learning how to build
debian packages, use the #debian channel on irc.debian.org to get package
information and build help.  Read the Debian Policy manual, start with a
few simple packages (hello is one) and learn how to use debmake.

There is a lot of work to be done before even the first package is
changed.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org