Re: SEUL: Re: What's the diff to SEUL ? (fwd)

   Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 02:23:00 -0500
   From: Rick Jones <rickya@siservices.net>
   CC: john@dhh.gt.org, seul-dev-distrib@seul.org
   Sender: owner-seul-dev-distrib@seul.org

   George Bonser wrote:

   > On 17 Jan 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
   >
   > > Why not pull the kernel off the CD?  That would require somehow acquiring a
   > > set of CD drivers for FreeDOS, but it should still leave plenty of space on
   > > the floppy for a fancy pre-install program to do all the stuff you suggest
   > > below and then some.
   >
   > Sounds like we think alike!  I just suggested this in another email.
   > I have rerouted this to distrib where the conversation SHOULD be taking
   > place. :)

    was in the computer store, at the mall, just the other day, where most
   of our target audience probably gets info etc. and there was a guy in
   there looking at software.  He asked the girl what the cd on the box
   meant.  Do I need to say any more?

   Ok.  I will =)  She told him it meant the software is on a CD-ROM.  His
   next question was????  Does that mean I have to buy a CD-ROM to use it?

   How many CI ppl out there do you suppose buy a computer and say "I don't
   need a CD-ROM on my computer, I can just use my stereo."  And figure
   they'll save a few bucks buying it without the CD-ROM, bragging to
   buddies on the deal they got by not getting it with the CD-ROM, only to
   find out that CD-ROM wasn't to play music.  Well, not just music.

   Sorry.  I can see this guy doing that and find it hilarious.  You know
   it happens.

If you wan't SEUL to be a failure then the shotest path is trying to
target people like this in the first edition.  To begin with Linux
does not have appication software for him.

Do a SEUL significantly easier than any present distribution.  Haviong
an easier Linux will attract people less computer oriented than
previous Linux users.  Then the change in compostion of the Linux
population will incite both commercial ("there is a market for easy
programs") and free developpers to make user friendlier software.
Then using that software you can be more ambitious in SEUL2.  Ans so
use the snowball effect until Linux is no longer for IQs higher than
95 but can be used by morons too.  :-)

--
			Jean Francois Martinez