Re: alternate applications

Two Ducks wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> <snip>
> >> Reading email
> >
> >The problem is that your heading is incorrect (or incomplete)
> > It should read something like
> >
> >task help -> KDE -> reading email
> >
> >Or "reading email with KDE"
>
> My concern is that there may be some users who will not understand
> what KDE, or GNOME, or whatever is. They just want to read email

Default help should be whatever desktop manager is installed ( KDE
for this year at least ) then additional program specific help should be
summoned when those programs are installed.

> >It's important that you don't propose you're instructions as a be
> >all and end all of how to do a task. For example, there are lots
> >of ways to read mail, there's no "one way" to do it. The instructions
> >need to be placed in the appropriate context to make sense.
>
> I suppose this might be fine. As long as the help files are written well
> this might not be a problem. The layout of the system will be much more
> important in this case.
>
> Ken
Simplicity = predictability.
Put everything in a particular place by default.  If the user knows
enough to move stuff around and install to alternate paths, he will be
able to change what needs changing.
--
Through the the Firewall, out the ruter, down the T1, bounced from
satellite.  ... Nothing but net.