Video, real and protected mode.

Ok, I'm far from a kernel hacker but it looks like
Linux is in real mode before it's in protected mode
and reads the video bios before going into
protected mode. So can we get what we need off the
video card at this point?

From the Kernel Hacker Guide:
The setup portion identifies some features of the host system and the
type of vga board. If requested to, it asks the user to choose the video
mode for the console. It then moves
the whole system from address 0x10000 to address 0x1000, enters
protected mode and jumps to the rest of the system (at 0x1000).

http://www.redhat.com:8080/HyperNews/get/tour/tour.html