Re: SEUL: hardware detection

On 18 Jan 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> 1) Space.  The Linux kernel leaves little room on a floppy for anything
>    else.
>
> 2) Rawrite. A FreeDOS based install would not require perfect floppies and
>    could be put on a formatted floppy with ordinary tools.

I suggested this before:

Why not have a downloadable image for those with DOS/Win/Win95, it could
be as big as you like (Win95 people are used to it  :-)

This could resize compressed volumes, repartition the drive, setting up a
Linux Native and a Swap partition. It would then write everything needed
for a Linux based install to the Swap partition (as an image).
Then shutdown to DOS, run loadlin to boot the "Swap" partition.
The Swap partition does the real install to the Native Linux partition.

An alternative to this would be to create a small UMSDOS filesystem on the
hard drive, which would do the same sort of thing.

I'm not sure how to do a first time install (no OS), probably do the same
as Win95 (how does this install from CD if no OS - need initial boot
floppy?) then just execute the install image (which could be on the CD).

This sort of install would eliminate the need for floppies, and you have
as much space as you want.

-Tim.

---
Debian/GNU Linux... the maintainable operating system. http://www.debian.org