Re: SEUL: hardware detection

   Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 23:51:11 -0500 (EST)
   From: William T Wilson <fluffy@dunadan.com>
   cc: john@dhh.gt.org, seul-dev-install@seul.org
   Sender: owner-seul-dev-install@seul.org

   On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Rick Jones wrote:

   > Most, if not all, distributions are floppy installable.  Debian is

   Redhat is not floppy installable.  Granted, this is a royal pain from time
   to time, but for less than 1/2 of 1% of the users.  AFAIK the only ones
   that ARE are Slackware and Debian, and I'd like to see some statistics of
   how many people make use of it.

   Granted, it would be POSSIBLE to install off of floppies by using split,
   for example, to distribute packages over multiple floppies.

   On the other hand, I take Redhat's position.  EVERYONE has a CD-ROM drive.
   If you don't you can buy one at the corner store for $40.  It is,
   literally, impossible to find (new) software on floppy.

Not only floppies would cost more than a CD driver but it would be
virtually impossible to install from floppies without having at least
one of them being defective.  And if you want to reinstall a couple of
months later you will find than two or three year old daughters _love_
to put their fingers on the magnetic surface.  :-)

--
			Jean Francois Martinez