Re: Plan of action for dev-install

George Bonser writes:
> How does the new newt/whiptail interface look compared to the old dialog?

Pretty much the same, but with really ugly default colors.  whiptail is
supposed to be a drop-in replacement for dialog.  It almost is.

> Is it useful to configure BOTH configurations (if we are to have a
> non-GUI option).

I'm not sure what you mean.  The only reason to keep dialog around is to
support scripts that use it.  whiptail does everything dialog does (though
not necessarily better IMHO).

jfm writes:
> Any scheme based on doing chores at fixed times of the day will not work
> with home users computers.

This is what anacron is for.

> The installation should not let the user with an unconfigured PPP.
> Online mail and news reading is very expensive in many countries so we
> have to set up and configure mail and news servers for offline reading.

I'm working on pppd configuration.  Mail and news configuration, while
important, are seperate issues.  So is network configuration. Standardize
on fetchmail and smail and a mail configurator won't be too hard. Network
configuration should also be manageable for the simple systems that Seul is
aimed at.  Offline news, however, is a can of worms.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)