RE: SEUL: A Linux Annoyance

On 17-Feb-98 Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> there are a lot of people who aren't aware of this. I wasn't aware
> of it until it came up in the newsgroup. Despite the fact that I was
> considerably more advanced at
> that stage than our target audience. Given our fairly illiterate
> audience, this response is less than adequate. we might as well say that
> anyone who can't handle a command line needs to go back to comp 101. and
> they'll all go back to "Windows 101" instead.
>
> -- Donovan

^q and ^s works in windows too. Call up an MS-DOS screen. Hit control-s and
watch it "freeze". If you happen to have a full-screen text window, the only
way out without hitting a ^q is to hit reset.  ^q ^s is not limited to PC's
either, it is a basic communications handshaking protocol that predates the PC
by many years. We are not going to provide any service by eliminating them.
Some things such as text-to-speach converters used by the viaually impared
actually depend on this working.

I did notice one bug, though ... if I accidently hit ctl-alt-delete, my
computer will reboot without asking me if I really, really, want to do that.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org