Re: SEUL: SEUL duplicating efforts?

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Orn E. Hansen wrote:

>   We should make use of VGA16 server for initial installation, and use the
> generic mode.

and start with the equivalent of "safe mode"... yes, that's a good idea...
still , the flashing catastrophe is something to look out for. This idea
of modifying xdm is nice, and really 'takes the bull by the horns'...

> All Super VGA as well as VGA should support that.  From here
> the user can use, either a custom tool as I hear Red Hat does, or the X

RedHat basically use XConfigurator, warts and all (if XFree86 is what you
mean ... )

> configuration tool to setup the display,card, etc.

The XConfigurator is inadequate, at least for newbies. It sets up mice
incorrectly, and produces sub-optimal results with the video. It probably
needs some work
if not a complete re-write.

-- Donovan