Re: SEUL: SEUL duplicating efforts?

Erik Walthinsen writes:
> So he was booting to runlevel 5 (X) to get an xdm login on his terminal,
> but he, for obvious reasons, hadn't installed or configured a local X
> server.  Guess what we found?  A 250MB+ log file with 160,000+ iterations
> of X saying "there's no xf86config file!".  He never noticed it until his
> disk ran out of space, because he keeps his machine sufficiently loaded
> to mask the continual loop, and the machine is loud enough to mask all
> disk noise (a nice feature, IMO).

A very mild case.  In a true flashing screen catastrophe, xdm keeps
restarting the X server and dying.  Your monitor makes noises like a
motorboat while screen flashes alarmingly, and you can't log in to shut
down.  This can happen on a system where startx works perfectly.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)