Re: [seul-edu] It looks like I'm going to learn Python

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Rakis wrote:

>> Thanks again for all of the recommendations

Yes, I also teach Python to small group of schoolchildren. It's
very expressive, nice and easy language.

Under Linux it's very natural and powerful.

Under Windows, however, there is a feeling of  not-so-good  IDE
(IDLE) - I had some problems with  debugger  and  so  on.  This
confuses children how think  windows  interface  is  supercool.
(And I agree CLUI under Windos is nearly nonexastant).

(I have nor tried Python for Mac)

*

And also I think that in teaching OO one must be very  careful.
OO is not about using objects, its about object-design. In  C++
OO design realisation is  very  restrictive  and  clumsy  (Sp?)
Under Python object-orientedness is natural and tidy.
(I even dare recommend Python to teach OO instead of C++)

If  you   teach   OO,   don't   switch   to   it   just   after
structural/modular programming: it's very different philosophy,
requiring different thinking. (In fact, I am not ready to think
OO way myself :-(

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
Russia * Karelia * Petrozavodsk * rnd@rsuzi.pgu.karelia.ru
* Thursday, April 06, 2000 * Powered by Linux RedHat 6.0