Re: [seul-edu] It looks like I'm going to learn Python

Few High Schools use the Python/Java combo for teaching computer programming
as Rakis suggests below.

High School Computer Science teachers usually pick the language/platform for
their introductory programming course.  For many, this introductory course
does NOT use C++.  However, for the advanced High School programming courses
they teach C++, because it is the chosen language of the College Board for
the Advanced Placement (AP) program.

The AP Computer Science/C++ curriculum is carefully spelled out, and does
NOT include friend classes or multiple inheritance (go to
www.collegeboard.org and dig down to the Comp. Sci. material--there you can
find a detailed description of the AP Comp Sci curriculum).

Next year, I plan (for my advanced courses) to use the KDE Integrated
Development Environment, called KDevelop, for teaching C++ under GNU/Linux.

I'll teach Visual Basic, under Windows, in the introductory course.

This gives students variety in languages and OS environments.

Gary Frankenbery
Grants Pass High School
Grants Pass, OR