Re: [seul-edu] Crosswords for Linux Backtracking recursive crossword generator

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY wrote:
> think I would impliment it on my system until it no
> longer makes works like ysketch because we work with a

This is a **quite** easy thing to solve!

> objective, speed is a secondary objective.  Besides,
> once the xword is created the data file is static and
> the display just uses that matrix that you created once.

The last filter, in python-tk or python-CGI can handle that
"static" data the way it like. Of course many options would
imply a "hot" server in the case of python-CGI.

> So I don't see why speed is an issue at all.  (I have

Speed and number of words placed. More restrictions means less
chances to acceptable placings, so more time to fill it.

> initial screen there won't be all that much data
> transfer.  I assume you have a way so that you don't
> need to redraw the whole screen with each input.

As far as I know there's no other way :( . Again the idea of
a "hot" server comes to mind, and a "hot" Ethernet too. Some
Apache may embed a python interpreter so it can be faster.
10 computers,  10 kids pressing 1 key per second, at most,
thinking and  placing the cursor inside the input places...
10 python scripts per second, it's not crazyness, but a certainly
"hot" server, in fact the server could print a "hard-copy" of it...

> Although, I remember this being problematic and I don't
> remember a good solution to this.
>
> I like java, but it requires me to use new computers.  I
> think the cgi is the best option for my aging computers
> and for my newer ones any solution seems fine.
>
> I like the idea of a user configurable option if you
> aren't going to  do it my way ;-)  However, you once you

No, I'm not going to do your way, because some people may consider
the wrong one, I'd be neutral at that matter. Having a Linux server
where I can run my CGI's give a lot of nice ideas about configuration
files...without using SQL, just pure databases of objects, pure
python scripts to save the data. I'd like very much the idea, but
it won't be ready in the short term, at least some weeks.

Or, perhaps somebody WOULD HELP me ? :) , Yeah, I know, if I
don't do it... who will do it for me ?

> get rid of they ysketch then every word will start at
> its assigned number and you can make a list of across
> clues and down clues.  This is how most xword puzzles

It's not a problem at all.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm

  I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day cause that means it's going to be up all night. -- Steven Wright