Re: [seul-edu] Crosswords for Linux Backtracking recursive crossword generator

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY wrote:

> Python sounds good.  The only disadvantage I can think
> of is that I would eventually have to install python on
> any windows and mac machines.

So there're a couple of new possibilities:
- python CGI's formatting HTML tables and saving the state
in a file in /home/httpd/cgi-bin , this option would require
a Linux machine and a Apache server , the rest can be whatever,
because in a Intranet this method would be fast enough, or in
a local computer. It's not too much difficult and seems quite
new, at least for me. It's optimal in terms of maintenance
and easiness of programmation.

> o I assume I would run it off a server like you do as a
> web app?
For that we could have the python-tk version. ( second possibility)

> o Can it run locally?
Yes.

> o How do I get teachers to create their own lists?

Once, we have a decent GUI interface in python-tk, this would
be rather automatical, and clean.

> o How do I allow teacher to have all the clue printed if
> they want the kids to work on it at home or in their
> dorm room?

This is not problem for me, I'm accostumed to produce LaTeX ,
so you'd need only a Linux box, or LaTeX for Windows --> YAP.

> leave the data in their directory would be great.  I
> hope we can make that easy too.  (I haven't seen any
> install docs on your xword creator so I haven't
> installed the software) -- I just like having an idea of
> what I am doing before I do it.

genaut.py just produces a crossword so it doesn't need anything.
cruolinux.tgz has a nice README file where everything is told.
I'll make a INSTALL file, probably improved because installing
cgi's won't be as trivial as copying some *html with javascript
and running netscape.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm

  I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day cause that means it's going to be up all night. -- Steven Wright