Re: [seul-edu] Crosswords for Linux Backtracking recursive crossword generator

Python sounds good.  The only disadvantage I can think
of is that I would eventually have to install python on
any windows and mac machines.  Javascript is built in to
the browsers.  (However, the debugging issue -- I can
deeply sympathize.  I tried twice to teach javascript,
but each time I decide that the debugging make it a
completely impractical language -- at least for someone
like me prone to mistakes.

o I assume I would run it off a server like you do as a
web app?
o Can it run locally?
o How do I get teachers to create their own lists?
o How do I allow teacher to have all the clue printed if
they want the kids to work on it at home or in their
dorm room?  (At our school we can't expect kids to have
access every minute of the day.  What I am saying is
that a nice printed hardcopy version would be a great
option to add too.)

Thanks for listening.  I hope to be able to use in on
our server soon.  I am planning to set up a "Common" or
shared server for teachers/students/adminstrators to be
able to leave assignments for kids, kids to deposit HW,
etc.  Your program as a web app that teachers could
leave the data in their directory would be great.  I
hope we can make that easy too.  (I haven't seen any
install docs on your xword creator so I haven't
installed the software) -- I just like having an idea of
what I am doing before I do it.

Bill

Quoting Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <irmina@ctv.es>:

> On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY wrote:
>
> > One last detail.  Would it be much harder to have
the
> > numbers outside the puzzle table and use 11 instead
of 1
> > again to number the clues?
> >

> I'm thinking about switching to python/tk, a language
much
> neater than Javascript. In fact, few people play
on-line
> and python-tk is present in all Linux distro.
>
> I appreciate all your suggestions, and they force me
to consider
> python-tk, because Javascript is very nasty to handle
, poor debug.

> What do you think ?
>
> Regards/Saludos
> Manolo
> www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html
/texpython.htm
> /pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm
>
>   There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he
has to take the bull
> by the tail and face the situation. -- W.C. Fields

TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>