Re: [seul-edu] Win NT w/Linux Server?

Hi Harry,

What is a BDC.  I do very little with WindowsNT.  Why is
an little NT server necessary.  I have a mixed
environment.  I would like to use Linux workstations,
but convincing people to move away from Mac and windows
is tricky.  I think I have found nearly enough stuff to
do the trick, but now I will need to work on the
teachers.

I would like to know how you have done this.  I thought
most diskless workstations required special ROMs.  (Is
it tricky to get those working?)

I have lots of macs that I will need to turn into linux
workstations.  How will I deal with a mix between PPC,
i386 and some non-PPC macs running linux?  Is there a
clever way around this problem?

I need to test our school's administrative software
under Wine (rediker's admin plus), FileMaker Pro -
admissions office, and a specialized version of MS
Access -- for the business office.  At the moment
though, I don't know if Abiword is good enough and I
don't know if we could afford the Corel Office or
Applixware Licenses (but at least they would have
presentation software).

Bill

Quoting Harry  McGregor <micros@azstarnet.com>:

> Samba does support NT login, and it even supports PDC
(unsupported
> officialy) and BDC roles in an NT Domain.
>
> Normaly for an NT domain setup, a very small (low end
pentium class, etc)
> NT server with a very low license count should be used
as a PDC, and the
> Linux servers setup as BDCs.
>
> I would advocate the use of Linux on the desktop, as
it does work rather
> well, especialy in a very network centric environment
(I am typing this
> at a computer lab we (http://www.osef.org) installed
in Tucson AZ, the
> system does not have a hard disk drive, or floppy disk
drive, it uses
> NFS root, and swap over NBD, I could hit the reset
button for all the
> system cares, and the file system will still be
perfectly intact).

> 			Harry
>
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY wrote:
>
> > I would like to have a set up where linux/samba
server
> > acts as the file and authentication server for
NT/2000
> > boxes (as well as a file server for Win 98 boxes).
> > have never seen a way to do the NT login
authentication