Re: [seul-edu] Win NT w/Linux Server?

Quoting Doug Loss <dloss@suscom.net>:

> all about doing exactly this. <http://www.ltsp.org>

Wow, I guess since there is $100 dollar solutions -- who
cares about our old clunkers, we could upgrade to these
things shown on the ltsp site!  At those prices I could
even afford to purchase Corel Office or ApplixWare.

Thanks for the tip Doug.  I don't know availabilty in
Switzerland, but even if I triple the cost I am saving a
lot of money.

> I was looking at the Rediker software a few days ago.
> It's very nice.

I guess you must have been looking at the windows
version.  I find the production version clunky to
maintain.  It still uses DOS printing.  Exporting data
is not under exporting (that's how you promote kids to
the next grade level), printing is how you export data,
etc.  I also find the manuals completely useless.  They
are only reference -- how to accomplish something when
you already know what you want to do, but they do little
to help you to figure out some new procedure.

I guess once you know it from a users perspective its
good, but from administrative perspective I still
dislike it.

Anyway, I could approach them to create a linux version.
But first I will try to run it under Wine.

Bill
TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>