[seul-edu] ICQ and Security

The truth is, if we put Linux in schools, the kids want to talk. I told
some kids at my school some of the features of talk, write, finger and
mail and they just loved the idea. But most kids at home use Windows or
Mac. I know very few kids who have or let alone have heard of any kind
of UN*X-based OS. So on Windows the best chat program to use is ICQ.

I have been using ICQ for a while (55821403) and I have seen many of the
security holes. By standard your IP address is revealed to the world and
you must go in and change that manually. Even if you do hide your IP,
programs like Sub-7 can still trace it. Now, if the schools and homes
were to all switch to licq or gicq or even gnomeicu, could programs like
NetBus, NetOrifice and Sub-7 still be able to hack into a Linux based
system? And is there ways to prevent these "attacks" through a Linux
roughter? Thanks,

Kevin Brown.