Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Cheating and home schooling]]]

In the United States, homeschooling (which is generally defined as
parents teaching their own kids at home), is governed by a combination
of state law and state education regulations.  These (of course) vary by
state.
For instance, Ohio (where I used to live), requires that a parent notify
the local school board that they
	a) are not going to send the child to the government school,
	b) provide either the scores from a standardized test or a portfolio
	review narrative from a certified teacher of the child's work
	c) an overview of what they will be teaching.

Indiana requires a simple notification of the child's whereabouts (I
think).

Texas (where I live now) requires a notification and affirmation that
you are teaching the child.

California (where I will 'never' live) requires each family to register
as a private school under the auspices of the local school board, with
considerable review and oversight by representatives of the school (I
think).

Homeschooled kids can take the standard tests (ACT, SAT, etc), can get a
GED, can have a diploma issued by their parents, or can get a diploma
from a correspondence school or umbrella school.  Which one you do is
somewhat influenced by where you live and what the child wants to do.
Most colleges will accept homeschooled children on the strength of
ACT/SAT or portfolio review.  High school diplomas don't carry a lot of
weight in many places any way, since there has been so much documented
'gradeflation' in the government schools.

My son enlisted in the US Navy on the strength of various tests.  He
took the GED pretest, but enlisted before he took the full test.  He
graduated 3rd in his class from A school (which follows basic training).

My daughter has been rather hotly pursued by various colleges based on
the strength of her GED and ACT scores.

If anyone is interested in homeschooling, email me off list and I can
provide some URLs.

Jim Wildman                                    Lead Consultant, marchFIRST
jim@rossberry.com                               jim.wildman@marchfirst.com
www.rossberry.com                                       www.marchfirst.com
                                                             (972)560-7356
All opinions expressed are mine and not my employer's.