RE: Re: [seul-edu] MS targeting schools for software audits...

Title: RE: Re: [seul-edu] MS targeting schools for software audits...

A number of points about the MS Schools deal, (some UK specific):

(i) if your school has 1200 pupils, and you currently have 150 PCs, you'll have to increase that to 250 to meet govt targets for the end of the year. 250*40 = £10,000 per year to take part. £10k also = 25PCs, 15 laptops, or enough to cover the pay increase (over traditional UK 12-14k pa techniciam salaries) and training for a couple of suitably experienced IT professionals to run a IT system of that scale.

(ii) Having MS systems does not make your ICT run smoothly, or any easier to run. Using windows at home in no way equips you to run windows wholescale on a network, let alone all the server-side software. My job takes me into many schools where these assumptions have been made and now regretted. Having a pure MS network also does not absolve the school of the responsiblity for training the ICT support staff and paying them at a suitable level (NHS/local govt equivalent rates are fine).

(iii) There is a world of difference, legally speaking, between being allowed to use software on a single home computer for work related activities (MS view of the situation) and being allowed to use the software on their home computers generally. And are you prepared to lend out the media for the install? Because you are most certainly not entitled to make copies.

(iv) Let's just mention social inclusion. Your average inner-city pupil, if they have a PC at home, is not using MS packages. Not legally at any rate. By showing parents what is available at little or no cost, you are helping them to stay legal, rather than encouraging them to break the law. Linux, KDE 3 (very nice indeed) and StarOffice/OpenOffice. You need more in most lessons?

(v) Last, but not least: schools should be leading pupils and parents, not blindly following them. You should be showing them the future, and MS is *not* it. Ask IBM, ask Sun, ask Oracle. Ask Intel and AMD. 10 years ago, if you were teaching word-processing following prevalent industrial practices, you would have been teaching WordPerfect. Where would have been the relevance of that when your 11 year old finally entered employment at 21?

Please feel free to respond off-list, and if you need help persuading your schools, I'm only to willing to help (it's a large proportion of what I do).

Regards

Chris Puttick
IT Manager
Central Manchester City Learning Centre