[seul-edu] Re: Fanatical Volunteers

I’m new to Linux and to schoolforge but a long time computer-using
educator in a midwest US high school.  My present duties include on-site
teacher training and technical support for a large number of Win and Mac
systems.  Our LAN includes a Linux web and mail server and a Win2000
file server.

This year our state purchased thousands of Wintel computers for the
schools; all without any application software.  Star Office saved us.
Teachers and students are gradually realizing that MS Office is NOT the
only software option.

Moving to Linux on the desktop sounds interesting but The Fanatical
Volunteers will have to SHOW that it can be done.  The average classroom
teacher probably won’t be comparing OS options; they just want a machine
that works.

Yes, burn that standard installation CD.  Yes, continue the assistance
via LUG.

BUT, a little "show-and-tell" would be most helpful….most educators are
not hard-core
computer techies.  If they saw Linux in action, things could happen.

How about a video that compares school computers side by side?  Show one
running mainstream apps on Win or Mac; another one running common apps
on Linux desktop.
Explain the issues of licensing and support.
Explain Open Source.
Describe the process of installing.
Burn the video clips on CD; maybe in Quicktime and distribute the CD to
schools.
A compelling story could gain thousands of "converts" in a short time
and could save the LUG some energy to solve the technical problems that
will come later.

Wayne