[seul-edu] SEUL/edu and Schoolforge

I'm glad to see the enthusiasm from Steve and Tom!  Let's see if we
can accomplish something with it!

But what I want to talk about here is SEUL/edu, Schoolforge, and the
relation between them.

SEUL/edu was formed more than three years ago to provide a rallying
point for people interested in getting Linux into education.  At the
time, it was pretty much the only place to go if that was your
interest, and it flourished.  However, over the years many other small
sites appeared as people became interested in the possibilities of
Linux in education.  They usually talked among themselves (just a few
people) and discussed the same things all the other groups were
discussing.

Late last year we (David Bucknell from Open Source Schools, us here,
and some others) decided to form Schoolforge, a coalition of all the
groups interested in getting open resources into the schools.  We also
set up a mailing list, schoolforge-discuss, for general discussion on
any aspect of getting such resources into education.  Of course, this
covered much of what the seul-edu mailing list had done for years.

Since we didn't want Schoolforge to seem like just another name for
SEUL/edu, we encouraged all seul-edu subscribers to also subscribe to
schoolforge-discuss and to take general topics there.  We decided to
use the seul-edu list for discussions that were specific to SEUL/edu
projects.

That's been a bit difficult, since SEUL/edu didn't actually _have_ a
lot of specific projects.  Right now the SEUL/edu projects are our
Educational Applications Index, our Case Studies listings, and our
bi-weekly Linux in education reports.  This discussion about
developing the ISO of educational software is exactly what this list
is for.  But let's not get too much general discussion about Linux in
education here.  I'd like to see that on schoolforge-discuss, where
people from all the other Linux educational groups can see it and take
part too.  If you're not subscribed to schoolforge-discuss, go to
<http://schoolforge.net> right now and join up!

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--