[seul-edu] Re: ISO

At 03:05 PM 4/25/2002, Doug wrote:

[snip]

How about this:

[1]
>OK.  How to proceed?  First, let's look through the entries in the Educational
>Applications Index <http://richtech.ca/seul/> and identify candidates for
>inclusion
>in the ISO.

[snip]

[2]
>Once we've identified candidate apps, people have to install and test
>them.  This
>is where a fair amount of effort is involved.  This is something that is
>best done
>by teachers or people who can have teachers test it for them.  We want to
>find out
>what would actually be useful in school, not what looks like a good idea
>to us but
>that teachers wouldn't use.  After these tests we should have a list of
>available,
>useful apps.

[3]
>Then we need to package the apps.  There's a fair amound of effort
>involved here,
>too, but this can probably be done by fewer, dedicated people than the
>previous
>task.

[4]
>After that we need to come up with an installer.  If the packages are
>included with
>standard distros it should be up to the distro manufacturers to add hooks
>to their
>various installers to add our stuff; but if someone is downloading our ISO we
>should have some easy to use installer as an integral part of it.  Matt
>Jezorek,
>what are you using with Blue Linux?

[5]
>Finally, we need to construct the ISO.  That should be fairly easy, I
>think.  After
>that, we need to put it up for download, try to get CheapBytes to carry
>it, and
>advocate it to all the distro people.

I am most and interested and believe I can get local resources to help with
3, 4 & 5.  I would also like to participate with 1 & 2, but being new to
teaching, I have less of a network to "work" and can't make promises at
this point...

Should we try to actually put together a team at this point and see if we
can flesh out the plan?

Steve