Re: [Community_studios] Re: [seul-edu] Re: Unified Front...

On Wednesday 01 May 2002 01:18, Matt Drew wrote:
> If we can market Linux as
> robust and easy to fix (which it generally is) there is traction there
> with the technical people who do the deployments, both in schools and in
> other places.

You'll be fighting Microsoft's semi-automated deployment software. Consider
co-operating more closely with Mandrake, they seem to have niotched up a fair
bit of experience here and there with automated deployments and stuff like
LTSP.

> Part of our efforts here are to get people used to using
> Linux so that they see how really simple most things are.

Part of this is *not* setting the computer up in front of them. Microsoft's
sales people don't, because it frightens people. There are questions about
sutff they didn't know existed.

> Schools are very important to us.  If we can get users who are not
> afraid of computers and do not see them as magical beasts, it really
> helps Red Hat (and everyone, I think).

More than that, if you once get people hooked on the power and flexibility of
being able to do and program things for themselves, they're never going to be
happy with dumbed-down WYSIAYG (What You See Is All You Get) tools
afterwards.

Cheers; Leon