Re: using Linux on limited 486s

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> I'd welcome any feedback that others have at this stage, either on the list
> or privately (as you prefer). I'd especially welcome hearing from anyone who
> actually uses such a minimal setup on a regular basis. If anyone knows a
> ***GUI-based*** Web server worth trying (please, no more suggestions of
> lynx), please send them along -- trying to get Netscape to run on these slow
> machines has, so far, been the showstopper.

Might try looking at gzilla (GTK browser not based on Mozilla), or seeing
how well KDE's file manager browses web pages. If KDE's file manager works
OK perhaps one of the developers would be willing to repackage kfm as just
a web browser w/o the object handling backend. 8Mb though is barly enough
for X, if it isn't swapping constantly...

I'm curious to see what you will come up with though :)

--
Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/