Re: using Linux on limited 486s

On Thu, 05 Aug 1999 11:46:41 -0700, Ray Olszewski <ray@comarre.com> wrote:

> I'm still testing out possibilities in my spare time, but I wanted to run
> down the options I am looking at, so others can give me feedback on them and
> suggest possibilities I've overlooked.
>
> I'd welcome any feedback that others have at this stage, either on the list
> or privately (as you prefer). I'd especially welcome hearing from anyone who
> actually uses such a minimal setup on a regular basis. If anyone knows a
> ***GUI-based*** Web server worth trying (please, no more suggestions of
> lynx), please send them along -- trying to get Netscape to run on these slow
> machines has, so far, been the showstopper.

Linux Weekly News <http://www.lwn.net> has a list of more distros than I've
seen elsewhere, and each listing is a link to that distro's home page.  As for
a GUI web browser, I know Arachne was going to come out for Linux (it's an
MS-DOS graphic web browser, so it should be fairly small).  I don't know just
where that is.  Take a look at <http://arachne.browser.org> for info.

Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@csrlink.net    those in authority off their guard and give
(570) 326-3987       you the opportunity to commit more.
                        Mark Twain