Re: Logo

Malonowa <malonowa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> I think the best thing to do here is to whip the Berkley logo into a good shape for classroom use.

This sounds like the best bet for short-term returns.  The work
involved is fairly clear and the hardest work is already done in the
way of the language implementation.  Not having looked through
the code or having thought it out much, it seems like the hardest
part would be programming the over-all interface -- editor, turtle
windows, etc.  Extending the language will probably not be that
hard.

> Topologika has a good turtle graphics implementation called "Desktop screen turtle" as well - I've got
> the source for that somewhere from an old version - It may be easy to port but I'm not sure.

I haven't seen that Logo -- there's no demo on their website -- so I
don't know what it's like.

> As far as a programming language for edsoft goes, Squeak looks interesting so expect me to pick your
> brains AN AWFUL LOT about this in the near future.
>
> Ian, can I ask you how you like to program for Linux? GTK, QT etc. Maybe we could get together on a
> project. We need to develop a way for programmers out there to quickly and easily develop software with a
> minimum learning curve. Maybe Squeak is tha answer, maybe logo, maybe TCL/TK, maybe just specific
> libraries in C ontop of GTK. I suspect there's a range of solutions - development proliferates when there
> are good, simple libraries and a software base to begin with.

That's a big area.  What were you thinking about?  Making
programmers able to move to Linux easily?  Porting programs to
Linux?  Making new or less experienced programmers more
productive?  Making the applications people create more
appropriate for educational use?  Allowing non-programmers to
create applications?

There's so much involved in this, and so many ways to look at the
question... Why else are there so many programming languages,
libraries, programming paradigms, silly diagram-drawing
methodologies?  Can we add to what's already done, and is being
done, in any meaningful way?

> People have been talking about the technical merits of various solutions such as hypercard, metacard etc.
> But I don't see much about what would actually be done in terms of content here. Isn't it better to
> discuss content and then decide how it could be implemented? When it comes to the hypercard stuff, pupils
> tend to only need the most basic of tools anyway, little more than a glorified DTP package.

True.  The more I think about this, the more I'm unsure about what
sort of problem is trying to be answered with this.

In the HyperStudio community there seems to be a feeling of the
"HyperStudio philosophy", which is kind of like the "Logo
philosophy" only directed towards content and expression instead
of mathematics and algorithms.  But both can feel like a reaction, a
jubilation over general-purpose tools as opposed to closed
programs (in the sense Marshal used "closed" -- directed,
restricted).

So I know what HyperStudio *isn't* -- but I can't figure out what it
is.  There *is* a lot of fluff around it, but I can't tell which part is an
incidental marketing ploy and what's important -- or even if the fluff
serves an important purpose.

The content created by HyperStudio isn't particularly exceptional,
but because the content is created *inside* the educational
environment, the process is equally important.

What's that Logo saying... "no threshold and no ceiling"... just
because most students make simple text/picture combinations in
HyperStudio (or HyperCard or whatever) is it still important that
they be able to do more?

And now that I think about this problem again, I come back to
HTML.  It's certainly less than ideal in terms of concreteness and
ability to create dynamic behavior.  It's an adult tool.  Which is
what makes it so appealing... a kid can make something that's a
peer (technology-wise) to all the stuff adults do.  A link to a kid's
page looks just like a link to anybody elses page.  The content will
still be a kid's content, but it's the content they are supposed to be
learning, not the technology (at least in the case of HyperStudio-
like activities).

Now I'm feeling kind of excited about it... there's a bunch of really
neat things that could come together.  The web is one of the most
democratic forms of communication that currently exist in our
society.  Not just allowing kids to see it, but allowing them to be
part of it is to make the web that much more democratic.

And when you can place a child's creation side by side with so
many other works -- other kid's sites, commercial sites, personal
sites -- it places the expression in a context that seems to really
be missing from schools.  Schools make creativity -- from its most
noble to its most humble aspects -- into some sort of priviledge
which children earn in pieces, with constant reminders that they
aren't quite worthy.  "No threshold and no ceiling"... well, there's
lots of technical issues with HTML and ceilings galore, but it
doesn't have a social ceiling.  There's no stigma to making
something that is merely a web page.  HyperStudio, for all its
success in schools, is still just a program for schools.  It isn't --
and will never be -- a tool for adults and professionals.  Some
people do use it that way --it's technically possible -- but that sort
of use will always be an exception.

Hmm... so that's my renewed interest in HTML.

--
Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu>