Re: [seul-edu] Linux for kids

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 07:09:18PM -0400, Douglas Loss wrote:
> That sounds ready-made for Debian Jr.  Ben Armstrong, are you
> still on the list?

Yup, alive and kicking.

> If it won't work for Debian Jr,

As I have indicated, it's not that Debian Jr. wouldn't work.  It's just
that it's not a perfect match.  Where Debian Jr. aims first only to make
it possible for users of Debian to share it with the children in their
own lives, PC's for Kids would be putting Linux straight into homes
where it is totally foreign.  This is not, in my mind, principally a
technical problem.  You could probably use just about any Linux distro
given enough time and commitment from local Linux users to support the
end-users.

Anyway, if someone would like to try Debian Jr. in its current
(admittedly very raw) state, and see if it would meet these kids' needs
and get back to us (see debian-jr@lists.debian.org and
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-jr) I would love to talk.  In spite
of my skepticism, I think it's a very worthwhile project.

Ben