Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementary

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 02:44:08PM -0700, Samuel Hart wrote:

> The one thing I say differently is screw the big commercial software
> houses... We can make high-quality educational software ourselves ;-)

Honestly, and it's admittedly been a few years (Win95 days), I found most
"educational" software obnoxious.  Mostly, it was too loud.
I was quite amused to see a "Game Developer" article all about it
recently.  (How edutainment games should really quite with the annoying SFX)

For me, I think a lot of where OSS edutainment software will be useful is
in parental- or teacher-tweaking of the game.

This might mean parents and teachers who are competent at coding themselves...

Or the original authors just put in lots of forethought when it came to
options and variations...

Or a mix! ... Where 3rd-party OSS developers decide they'd like to submit
patches which makes particular games more tweakbale! :)

-bill!

PS to all - perhaps it could be the good day I'm having at work today,
but all this SEUL/EDU banter is really enjoyable!  Thanks and let's try
to keep it up! :)