Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementary

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Samuel Hart wrote:

> And actually, on that Training thing.... someone said a while back (I forget
> who) that what is needed is a book that deals with the needs of end-users,
> rather than the installation and system administrative stuff that most Linux
> books have.
>
> While this book would not be good for the average teacher, it would be ideal
> to introduce IT workers in schools (who probably dont have the skills of
> Robert, here ;-) to what can be done with Linux.
>
> If there isn't already a book out there like this, maybe someone should
> consider writing it? ;-)

In fact, I am in the beginning of writing a book covering using open
source office software (open office, KDE, GNOME Office, etc.). The book
focuses on using office applications from an end-users
(secretaries, students, etc.) perspective, not from the administration
point-of-view.

The co-writer is writer who freelancers for a variety of online and print
publications, including Linux Journal. (I believe the book should be
finished around February. If anyone wants to help review or wants to talk
me about it, reply off-list.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/