Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

On 24 Aug 01, at 16:08, jeff williams wrote:
> Ok, but EE (Easy Editor) is a good choice.

Never used it, but I'll take your word for it, and
pico wouldn't be bad either.

>                                             Yes,
> VI has a learning curve, to say the least.  I've
> been using VI since 1981 at AT&T Bell
> Laboratories, then later a version on MS/DOS and
> under Linux.  I'm still learning tricks and
> things VI will do.

If you're going to live your life in a *nix
environment, vi is almost (and I nearly left out
that word) an essential skill (never used EE, as
vi has always been available for my own personal
use) - though people look at me like I'm nuts when
they ask what I use for an html editor and I tell
them 'vi'.  Like you said, it's the learning
curve, and I'm not disagreeing that it (or pico,
et al) would be useful to know.  All I was saying
is that getting over that learning curve may prove
to be too much for an elementary school student
who probably doesn't see the need for a text
editor, when Word/WordPerfect/StarOffice/KOffice
can save text files anyway.

> But do you agree that showing the students the
> idea of formatting commands embedded in the text
> stream is valuable?  (You can show the same
> thing with Word Perfect "reveal codes")

Absolutely (though I don't know where this comment
came from whilst discussing text editors).  That's
got to be my single biggest gripe about MS Word.

--
Kyle Hutson
hutsonk@rockcreekschools.org