Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Universities

----------
>From: Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com>
>To: seul-edu@seul.org
>Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Universities
>Date: Tue, Aug 27, 2002, 6:11 PM
>
>What I'm most interested in are
>1) Does the main IT department helpdesk web page mention Linux?
>2) Does the main IT department helpdesk offer Linux installation?
>3) Are there any explicit "Introduction to Linux" or "Linux System
>Administration" classes (credit or noncredit)?
>
>Although CS students are very important here, I'm looking for evidence
>of more widespread adoption of Linux.

As to 1) and 2), the answer is no.  However, we also don't offer
installation of any other OSs other than to ensure that faculty and staff
desktop PCs are setup for the university's "common desktop" (meaning
Windows).  As to 3), I don't know what the CS and CIS departments are doing,
but our administrative IT department is working toward a generic "Basics of
System Administration" course for any faculty member who insists on running
his own server for reasons we can't talk him out of.  That won't be
Linux-specific, but it won't be anything-else-specific either.

Doug Loss