Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Universities

> jeff williams wrote:
>> > http://www.kegel.com/linux/edu/
>>
>> I've read this thread with interest.  I'm starting my third year at
>> Concordia University Wisconsin as a CS professor.  Before I got on
>> campus there was essentially no UNIX / Linux presence (exception being
>> 2 Sun workstations and an underutilized HP 9000 running HP/UX).  Now
>> our CS classrooms are dual boot, as are our labs.  There is a
>> fledgling Concordia Linux Users' Group (CLUG - pronounced KLUDGE), and
>> several classes using Linux.  Indeed, I require students to use Linux
>> in all the classes I teach -- and have taught several system
>> administration classes to boot.
>>
>> Our IT department is begrudgingly installing some Linux equipment, and
>> our IT student staff is essentially all bowing at the name of Tux.
>>
>> Not bad for two years...
>
> Yeah, but there's no mention of Linux anywhere at http://www.cuw.edu/it/
> Get Linux on there and/or http://www.cuw.edu/it/pc/ and/or
> http://www.cuw.edu/it/ithandbook/
> and I'll add your school to my page.
>
> Good luck!
> - Dan

Hi Dan,

The University of Northern Iowa College of Natural Sciences, housing
several departments, has offered Linux desktop support of Faculty and
Staff for years.  Their labs are mostly dual boot with at least one Linux
only lab.  The CNS runs 9 computer labs which are completely autonomous
from central IT services, complete with seperate accounts for all CNS
students faculty and staff.  Every student enrolled in a CNS course gets
an account, their labs are heavily used and preferred over the central IT
run labs for the campus.  UNI is a mid sized University, with around
13,000 students.  The CNS systems have typacally housed 9,000 to 11,000
accounts in the past.  Most of the administrators and student workers are
active members of CedarLUG, the Cedar Falls Linux Users Group.

See their computing web pages here:

http://www.cns.uni.edu/cns-computing/

Faculty and Staff supported software list here:

http://www.cns.uni.edu/cns-computing/faculty/supportedSoftware.html

Start of a student lab description page here:

http://www.cns.uni.edu/cns-computing/labs/studentLabs.html

--------------

Adams State College in Colorado has used Linux within central IT for many
years, (try around 7), for the bulk of internet services, (alas the 3b2's
are all gone).  Adoption on the academic side is currently minimal.  That
will be changing over time, students are starting to ask about it.  There
is no real advertizing of the use of Linux anywhere on campus.  That will
change as well. The first major system to get web recognition will
probably be the web portal which recently replaced the Campus Pipeline
product with 3,000 lines of PHP code and a small MySQL database.

- cameron

--
- cameron miller
- UNIX Systems Administrator