Re: A way to activate our efforts / open multimedia standards / Re: Developers tools?

On Sun, Dec 06, 1998 at 02:14:54PM +0300, Roman Suzi wrote:
> And yes,  needless  to  say,  these  tools  better  not  create
> bloatware monsters! Once I tried a Borland C++ 4.5 on  PC  Plus
> SuperCD to  make  a  simple  menu  program  (which  did  almost
> nothing).
>
> It was a shock when I saw 1 Mb exe-file!!!
>
> IMHO, object-oriented programming needs to  be  revised  a  lot
> with new ideas and implementations.
>
> I don't like to see any bloatware for  Linux!  Yes,  multimedia
> programs   are   huge.   But   this   must   be   because    of
> video/audio/photo data they manage, not the  bloatness  of  the
> code.

I don't have any extensive experience with visual tools,  but it is my
impression that the programs created with them often lack
customizable interface.  For me,  customization is very important.  I
think it is one of the strenths of Linux.

(deleted)

> I mean, do we have 10-20 man-hour project list which  could  be
> done with pleasure and satisfaction with VisualTcl for example?
>
> May be we can raise practical activity by doing a lot of  small
> non-ambitious projects, which we can then present on  a  web  -
> and the eduware web-page will not look empty!
>
> OTOH, these  "quickies"  could  distract  efforts  from  larger
> projects... But I think there we win more than lose.

> eduware project due to lack of tools for  quiality  multimedia.
> Could we instead make a lot little things ("quickies"), so  the
> list of accomplishements will not look empty and  attract  more
> people, more developers, more clients with their  wishes?  (and
> at the same time we will start to get satisfaction early?)
>
> Can somebody from this list (better NOT developers  themselves)
> provide ideas for small projects, that is programs, which could
> be made by professional programmers at leasure or by  beginners
> with equal (and quick) satisfaction?

One thing I can think of right now (amof, I have been thinking about it
for a while) is a simple geometry program.   Good start would be just
compass and straightedge constructions,  with nice interface,  easy to
use.  That should be fairly simple.  Later,  other stuff can be added.

--
Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek
lahvak@math.ohio-state.edu  (Blind Carbon Copies will bounce)