Stock simulator Re: perl and gtk

Brian wrote:

> > Teachers:  If you were teaching your students the fundamentals of the
> > stock market and wanted to let them keep their own immaginary portfolio
> > as a simulation, what would you want the features of the software to
> > be?  When I get a couple ideas here, I might be set.
>
> Are you designing something that would track student's portfolios, based
> on the real stock market?  Or something that would simulate the market
> itself, in maybe a time-compressed fashion?

It will use real stock market data, but not realtime.  Currently, I
envision running a cron job to update the prices shortly after markets
close.  Students would only be able to trade at market close prices.

Also, i think it will just have a list of maybe 100 or so stocks.  A
full market feed would be ridiculous.  Mainly companies kids and high
schoolers would know and be interested in.

I just thought of one other thing - when a student makes a trade, there
should be a text area for him/her to explain the rationale for the
trade.  Teachers seem to like that sort of thing, and it would help
students think a little more.  :-)